As I look out our office window, I am treated with the most beautiful bright pink Bougainvillea against a bright blue sky. The sight always puts a smile on my face because I know that Spring is well and truly here. Along with all the other things I adore about Spring, I love the fact that there is an abundance of lovely fresh produce around.
Last week I saw the most beautiful Rosa tomatoes in my supermarket and decided to use them in a simple pasta to showcase their beautiful flavour. I decided to roast them along with two whole heads of garlic and made a quick sauce using olive oil and some of the cooking water from the pasta. As I tossed the cooked pasta with the sauce I decided to add a few handfuls of fresh rocket (arugula) and finished it off with shavings of Pecorino Romano.
The pasta was just delicious. I loved how the tomatoes were well and truly the star of the show being complimented by the sweet roasted garlic, peppery rocket and salty Pecorino. All-in-all, a great Spring pasta.
- 600g (21.16 ounces) rosa (or other small) tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 2 whole heads of garlic
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh rocket
- 500g (17.64 ounces) cooked linguini
- fresh Pecorino
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 °c.
- To roast the tomatoes, place them in an oven dish, drizzle with the Balsamic vinegar, a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the hot oven and allow to roast for 20-25 minutes until blistered.
- Wrap the whole heads of garlic in foil and roast alongside the tomatoes until soft. Once soft, squeeze the garlic from the skins and keep aside.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, place them in a small saucepan along with the garlic puree. Add the ⅓ cup olive oil and season to taste. Allow to cook over low heat for 5 minutes, allowing all the flavours to mingle.
- Toss the sauce with the cooked pasta and fresh rocket and serve with fresh Pecorino scattered over the top.
Tags: Linguini, Pasta, pasta recipes, pasta sauce, roasted garlic, Roasted tomato & garlic linguini, Roasted tomato & garlic linguini with arugula, Roasted tomato & garlic linguini with rocket, roasted tomato pasta sauce, tomato saucePost By Alida Ryder