With Autumn very quickly making her way back into our lives (double yay!), I find myself needing comforting yet light food. I want something with ‘body’ but I need to feel like it’s not going to give me more body…if you know what I mean!
These amazing tacos do just that. They are comforting and filling enough but don’t leave you feeling stuffed! I decided to use short ribs as, along with beef shin, it’s one of my favourite cuts of beef. It’s quite a fatty cut which gives it tons of flavour and if you braise it for long enough, it falls apart if you just look at it. Just delicious!
I used store-bought soft-tacos and filled them with the melt-in-you-mouth beef, sour cream, guacamole and my ‘quick-pickled’ red onions which give the necessary tang and cuts through the richness of the beef. Word of warning though, these babies are seriously addictive and super juicy and the juices like to run down your arms as you eat them. I don’t have a problem with this as I like getting a bit messy with my food! I will be making this very soon again as I think that this is one of the most delicious things I’ve eaten in a really long time.
1.5kg (3.31 pounds) beef short ribs
4 red onions, quartered
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp NoMU One-for-all rub
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-1.5l beef stock (I used NoMU’s Beef fond)
for the ‘quick-pickled’ red onions
3 red onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white spirit vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
fresh chillies and coriander
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- Place the short ribs and onions in a large oven-proof dish and season with the paprika, NoMU rub, salt and pepper and pour over the stock. The ribs need to be just covered with the stock.
- Cover with foil/a lid and place in the oven. Allow to braise for 3-4 hours until the meat falls off of the bone.
- When the beef is cooked, remove from the oven and remove the short ribs from the braising liquid. Reserve 2 cups of the braising liquid and discard the rest.
- Place the reserved liquid in a small saucepan over medium heat and allow to reduce for 10 minutes.
- Allow the ribs to cool a little before removing the meat from the bones. I also remove the very fatty/chewy pieces as this isn’t pleasant to eat.
- Mix the short rib meat with the reduced liquid and set aside.
- To make the ‘quick-pickled’ red onions, heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a microwave-safe container for 2 minutes and stir to ensure the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the hot vinegar over the sliced onions and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- To serve the tacos, spread some sour cream on a soft taco, place a few spoonfuls of the short ribs followed by guacamole, red onions and finish with fresh chillies and coriander.
- Serve immediately.