I am not ashamed about the fact that I dream about food. I do it quite often actually. Even when the dream isn’t ABOUT food, food features in my dreams more often than not. But when you dream about one ingredient, every night for a full week, you know the obsessive line has been crossed. Last week, this happened to me and I dreamt about Chorizo every single night. Now, I like to listen to my dreams when they repeat themselves and so I knew I would need to cook something with chorizo soon to stop myself from waking up, salivating!
I wanted to keep it simple as my week’s have been quite chaotic lately and decided to use the chorizo in a spicy tomato sauce with pasta. I love how using a few good quality ingredients can result in a dish so full of rich, beautiful flavours. I used a really good quality chorizo sausage (with lots of lovely yellow fat) and some almost-over ripe cherry tomatoes I had in my fridge but 2 tins of cherry tomatoes would do just fine. I wanted to amp up the porkiness of the pasta so I added a packet (250g (8.82 ounces)) of smoked bacon.
As pastas go, I almost always serve them with a good grating of Pecorino cheese but as I was reaching for it in my fridge, saw the tub of Feta cheese and thought the salty, slight creaminess would be just great with the spicy, almost-sweet pasta. Perfect weeknight food!
200g (7.05 ounces) Chorizo sausage, roughly chopped
250g (8.82 ounces) smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g (17.64 ounces) cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp sugar
handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste
crumbled feta cheese, to serve
750g (26.46 ounces) cooked pasta of your choice, reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid
- In a hot, large pan, fry the chorizo and bacon until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the bacon & chorizo fat, fry the onion and garlic until soft and translucent then add the tomatoes and sugar. Add a splash of water and allow to cook and reduce for 10-15 minutes.
- If the tomatoes seem to be drying out, add a splash of water/chicken stock.
- When the tomatoes are soft and the sauce has reduced, add the chorizo and bacon back to the pan and add the parsley. Season to taste.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce and add some of the reserved cooking liquid to loosen the sauce has you go.
- Serve with crumbled feta cheese.