The first time I saw this on Martha Stewart’s site, I just loved the look of it. Simple ingredients, beautiful flavours and using mostly ingredients that everyone has in their kitchens. Except for the artichokes of course.
Let me just clarify here that I have not and probably will never prepare and cook an artichoke from scratch. This is where my laziness gets the better of me and I just can’t imagine myself peeling, cleaning and cooking them. I am very happy to buy the marinated kind from good supermarkets or deli’s. Granted, they are not cheap but they are definitely worth it. It is the Festive season after all!
Any pasta can be used for this but the angel hair pasta works really well. Just be sure to watch it as it’s cooking as it goes from undercooked to mushy in a matter of seconds.
Serve this with crusty bread and lots of wine to make a meal your friends and family will swoon over.
4 large skinless chicken breasts, de-boned
4 tbsp flour seasoned with salt & pepper
1/2 onion, minced (very finely chopped)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g (7.05 ounces) marinated artichokes, halved
150ml (5.07 fluid ounces) chicken stock
250ml (8.45 fluid ounces) cream
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
500g (17.64 ounces) angel hair pasta
- Place the chicken breasts between two layers of cling wrap and flatten with a mallet/rolling pin until approximately 1cm (0.39 inches) thick.
- Cover the chicken breasts with the seasoned flour and fry in a large frying pan for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through and golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Slice into thick strips.
- In the same pan, fry the onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add the artichokes and fry for another minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chicken stock and the cream and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until reduced slightly.
- Add the lemon juice, parsley and chicken and artichokes back into the sauce and season to taste.
- Cook the angel hair pasta in plenty of salted water until cooked.
- Serve the cooked pasta with the creamy artichoke and chicken sauce.