As a mom, I’m always looking for new and fun ways to present the same old things to my kids. I am constantly making sushi out of bread, ham and cheese or threading bread and vegetables onto skewers to make it seem more interesting, even though they had the same thing the day before. If you’re a mom, I’m sure you’ll agree with me that it can be tough to be creative for kids’ lunches.
So when I came up with this idea, I was quite chuffed with myself. My kids absolutely love Bruschetta with tomatoes, so I thought why not do the same thing on a skewer, and they loved it. What’s even better about this recipe is that my husband loved it too which means that this is a great idea for snacks with drinks or as an Hors d’œuvre. If you were to serve them to adults, I would suggest you half the cherry tomatoes, slice the bread slightly thinner and do the same with the Mozzarella. It will probably be a little bit hard to get huge chunks of cheese and crusty bread off a skewer if you have one drink in your hand, so just scale down the size slightly.
I used Ciabatta for the ‘crostini’ part but Baguette would work just as well. If you can find the tiny Bocconcini Mozzarella balls that would be a great addition as well. And who doesn’t love a beautiful sweet tomato with fresh basil? Absolutely a match made in heaven!
Makes 4 skewers
8 slices baguette, trimmed into cubes
100g (3.53 ounces) Mozzarella cheese, sliced into cubes the same size as the baguette
8 cherry tomatoes whole or 4 large cherry tomatoes, halved
8 fresh basil leaves
salt & black pepper for serving
- Pre-heat the oven grill to it’s highest.
- Place the cubed baguette on a wire rack and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes until the baguette is crispy and golden. Make sure to check it constantly as some grills are hotter than others and the bread can burn quickly. Turn over and repeat on the other side.
- To assemble the skewers, thread a piece of baguette followed by a tomato, basil leaf, slice of mozzarella, another basil leave, another tomato and another piece of baguette. Continue until all the skewers have been assembled.
- Place on a serving platter and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Season to taste.
Tags: bruschetta, caprese bruschetta, caprese crostini, caprese crostini skewers, caprese kebabs, caprese skewers, cherry tomato, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, Tomato, tomato mozzarella basil skewersPost By Alida Ryder