When I first started cooking meatless meals I thought constantly whether I would be able to do it once a week, I never though there was more than maybe 5 proper meal options. But it turned out that the more I cooked vegetarian food, the more ideas came to me. Most often, the ideas that come easiest are pasta dishes. It’s very easy to create a filling and delicious meal without meat when you have pasta as a base to work from.
It can be incredibly simple or really complicated but it’s very hard to go wrong with pasta. In Nigella’s new book “Kitchen”, she has a recipe for Marmite Spaghetti. It’s actually just Marmite, butter and spaghetti. Now, if that’s not simplicity at it’s finest, I don’t know what is. For me, garlic-buttered spaghetti is like Nigella’s Marmite Spaghetti. It’s immensely comforting and wonderful but sometimes, I need a bit more to my meal.
In moments like that, I choose seasonal veg, beautiful herbs and luscious cheese to jazz up my plate of pasta.
That’s exactly what I did with this dish. The key to making this a success is using the absolute best ingredients you can find or afford. Sweet Cherry tomatoes roasted with a splash of Balsamic vinegar, fresh and creamy Ricotta cheese and packed-full-of-garlic basil pesto combined with Al Dente pasta makes one of my favourite meals, ever.
400g (14.11 ounces) cherry tomatoes
2tbsn Balsamic vinegar
1tbsn olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
500g (17.64 ounces) pasta of your choice (I used spaghetti)
300g (10.58 ounces) Ricotta cheese, crumbled
4tbsn basil pesto thinned out with 2tsbn olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°c.
- Toss the cherry tomatoes with the vinegar, oil and seasonings and transfer to a roasting tray.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes are blistered and the skin starts coming loose. Keep watching the tomatoes because the oven will be very hot and you don’t want them to burn.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of salted water until al dente. Drain and combine with the tomatoes (and all their pan juices), ricotta and basil pesto.
- Serve with extra Ricotta and basil pesto.
Tags: Basil, basil pesto, cherry tomatoes, Pasta, pasta recipes, pasta with basil and tomatoes, pasta with pesto, pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes ricotta and pesto, pasta with tomatoes and ricotta, pesto, pesto pasta, ricotta cheese, roasted cherry tomatoes, spaghetti, vegetarian food, vegetarian recipesPost By Alida Ryder