I think Spaghetti Bolognese is a staple in every single household. Especially in households where both parents work full time. It’s easy, delicious and most children can’t say no to a big bowl of Spag Bol. But I have to say, I get bored quite easily of regular Beef mince so I like mixing it up and as I fell in love with Lamb Mince not so long ago, I knew it would jazz up this old favourite. The lamb adds a definite flavour to the finished sauce and I think the meat is more tender and moist, but it doesn’t make the Bolognese un-recognisable.
Lamb Mince can be quite expensive so feel free to use this recipe with any other mince you have lying around but for a twist every now and then I like to use it. And I always try to veggie-load my spag bol. Seeing as kids like it that much, I try to get everything from carrots to courgettes in there. Whatever I have in the fridge really. If I know I’ll be serving it to a very picky eater, I grate the veg but for my two who are still fine with veg, I just finely chop whichever veg I choose to use. Carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes are always part of my bolognese recipes but mushrooms, courgettes, butternut, peppers, sweetcorn, peas, broccoli and spinach will all work really well.
500g (17.64 ounces) Fettucini
500g (17.64 ounces) Lamb Mince
1 onion, finely chopped
3 Carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tin Chopped tomatoes
1 small tin tomato paste
1.5 tins water (I use the tin from the chopped tomatoes)
1 Bay leaf
1tsp Oregano, finely chopped
1.5 cups Vegetables of your choice
Salt & pepper to taste
- In large saucepan, fry the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a few tablespoons of oil until slightly golden.
- Add the mince and fry until the mince is browned.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, water, herbs and vegetables. Cover and allow to simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes.
- If the sauce seems too thin, remove the lid, crank up the heat and allow the sauce to reduce slightly.
- Cook the fettucini in plenty of salted water until Al Dente.
- Serve the cooked fettucini topped with the bolognese and a good sprinkling of grated cheese.